Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One night in Phnom Penh...

We are slowly figuring out our way around the city.  We know how to get home (usually) and we know major landmarks, but there are new sites everyday.  If I get lazy and don’t bring my camera, I undoubtedly wish I had.  Some things however, cannot be captured in a picture.  Words are limiting too, with my novice skill, but an attempt must be made in order to share our lives with you.  Last night we enjoyed dinner and were having a lovely tuk-tuk ride home when we decided to stop at the grocery store.  I believe Ben already wrote about tuk-tuks, and I will include a picture soon, but to summarize, they are open on all sides and pulled by a motorbike.  Ben and I were actually enjoying our tuk-tuk ride so much that we were making up a song; a little pastime you may not have known about us.

Suddenly we found ourselves surrounded by street kids.  We had ventured onto a busy street to go to the store, and although it was late at night the kids were out begging.  Three small children, none older than 7, jumped on board and started speaking rapid Khmer asking for food or money.  This may not be such a big deal, but they were not just riding with us.  The moto driver was going at least 15 miles an hour, and the kids were jumping on and off our tuk-tuk.  The smallest boy in particular was running along the cement divider between the lanes of traffic and was scaring me silly.  I was sure we were going to see his head hit the cement before we made it to the corner.  How badly I wished our Khmer lessons had started a week sooner.  Ben and I just sat there dumb-founded.  All I could think to ask was “where is your mother?” but that was obviously lost on them. 

As we reached the corner we found another few kids who, I can only assume, were part of the group.  A small girl was sitting on the cement divider holding a very small baby.  She didn’t ask for money or even move much; she just sat holding the child. 

How does one respond to this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of what Troy and I saw in the Philippines. We were always told never to give money, but to give food items instead.

Mikkin and Karl said...

We respond with a hug from us to you... except, we are not able to give you those hugs right now, so could you give them to each other for us, and make them good hugs like we really mean it and are thinking about you often, make them good like this is a good run on sentence :)

-Karl and Mikkin

Unknown said...

Your gut just sinks, doesn't it? This is exactly why your work is so important. Through our encouragement you will teach children such as these how to read, write, and ultimately provide for their own families. Praise be to God for this great ministry and opportunity!