Tuesday, November 18, 2008

getting started...

Things are slowly starting to take shape here. We returned from Siem Reap to find NPIC just as we left it only with a little more gecko poop on the floor.  We were told to report to teach on Monday morning, but given no time or location.  We tried to be there early and to find our way, but there was no need to stress. We arranged desks and were sent away, told to return to teach Wednesday morning, Tuesday for schedules.  Then a text comes on Monday night telling us to be in the office by 8am Tuesday morning cause we will have classes Tuesday(still we have seen no schedule).  How students know when to show up to this fiasco is beyond me.  We get there early since we haven't seen any classrooms or made any copies yet, but they say, no maybe tomorrow.  I sit here on Tuesday night and all my American sensibilities are violated.  I never would have been able to sleep the night before teaching my first class in Colorado.  It still was hard for me to sleep every Sunday night, even if I had the up coming week well planned, copies sitting in my classroom.  I have come so far. Or something like that. I am learning a hard lesson in patience and flexibility. 
In other news, we borrowed a car from a couple who is in Japan delivering their baby and Ben has been driving to and from NPIC the past few days. Braving the roads here is stressful to say the least. Motobikes and cars pop out everywhere and you have to have your head constantly on a swivel. He is doing very well though, I have no intention of driving the duration of the time we are here. 
Finally, to update you all, I am 29 weeks pregnant which means I leave for Thailand BY MYSELF in five weeks, maybe six if I am lucky. It will be an adventure, and to be honest, I am not in the mood for an adventure right now. They always make good stories later but they really suck at the time. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

why are you going to Thailand by yourself? I thought you guys were going together? Do you know where you will stay? Maybe you should write me an email about that...

Anonymous said...

Sounds stressful! I know how you like to have things ready for your students.

T. J. said...

are you sure it was gecko poop and not just some runaway coco puffs? ben might understand my peculiar curiosity.

Unknown said...

Flexibility lesson, eh? This is all coming at a good time I would say. Babies tend to bring that out in all of us, no? I do hope you're able to teach some more in the coming weeks, before you jaunt off to Thailand. Somehow "jaunt" doesn't seem to adequately explain the adventure before you. You're going to be great Ang! Great! Love you two. Wish we could be near to you both during this exciting season.

Unknown said...

hey