Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Juniper Tree Haven

This is where I have been spending the last two weeks. My room is really a house of it's own, a traditional Thai style house, where it rests on stilts about 6 feet off the ground.  It has been perfect to be able to rest here, as the last few weeks of pregnancy have taken more of my energy than I expected. 

This place is set up to support families serving overseas. It is meant to be affordable but also to provide a relaxing vacation for those who could not otherwise afford much.  The name itself comes from 1 Kings 19:4-8, the hope being that people leave here rejuvenated and ready to go back to their countries.  Many of the families here right now are from Mongolia and India, so they are thawing out a little, while I am all bundled up. I never thought I would see the day when 70 degrees made me shiver.

This place holds about 80 people, and is totally booked up most of the time, so I am so lucky to be able to stay here, especially while I am here alone. There is a nice community and tons of people offering to help me all the time.  I met a woman this morning who is a labor and lactation consultant, and she was so happy that we will both be here through when the baby is here.  She is excited to help, which is just one more comfort I am grateful for.  The managers are keeping a good eye on me too, I think they are a little nervous that I will go into labor before Ben gets here. 

They serve the meals family style, and so you sit with different people all the time. There is so much to learn about the different countries where people are living.  It is very impressive to see how people have changed their lives to serve in other countries and help develop education and infrastructure.   
This is the outside of my house. It is a beautiful place to sleep and relax in the last moments before the baby arrives.  Hopefully these pictures help give comfort to all of you who are concerned about me being here alone.  I am more lucky than most girls. I can't imagine having to work up until the end of pregnancy.   Thank you to everyone who is constantly checking on me through email and skype. I appreciate the concern and the thoughts you hold for me.  I will keep you posted. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Really enjoyed talking to you. Your place in Thailand is beautiful. I'm so glad that Ben will be with you. It puts me at ease. I'm showing Anne and Renee pictures of your new hangout. Talk to ya soon!

Cindy

Unknown said...

I have to admit Ang, that I am very relieved to read this blog as I was a bit concerned at you by yourself in Thailand - a new place as well as looking forward to new things happening to you. It sounds like there is much for you to think about with so many people around. keep well, Love Amy

Unknown said...

Come Reagan! Come!

Can't wait to meet her.